Thursday 8 April 2010

Has spring sprung?

Yesterday afternoon in the park, the swallows (or are they swifts? I never know) were zooming around merrily, 2 magpies had rather rampant sex near me, there's now a butterfly flitting around outside the window and it's 26 degrees on my balcony.

It's been warm and sunny since our impromptu picnic in the Retiro on Sunday and it's showing no sign of letting up.

I'm inclined to officially announce that it's spring, hide my jacket at the back of my wardrobe and start wandering around in slightly more summery clothing.

However, as Richard M is forever reminding us - "Hasta el cuarenta de mayo no te quites el sayo" - "Until the 40th of May, don't give up your tunic" (how quaint). Or for the English idiom: "Ne'er cast a clout til May be out". So apparently I shouldn't take the risk until either June 1st or June 10th, depending on which idiom you want to believe.

Still, since I own neither a tunic nor a piece of clothing that resembles only a "fragment of cloth" (clout), maybe I'll just say "F*ck it", hide my coat and keep my fingers crossed. If it rains in the next few days, you'll know who to blame.

No comments:

Post a Comment